Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ideas... Donations? Lol

Oh the joys and stresses of life! Today I wanted to put up a short post to see if anyone can help me out... first things first, yesterday I spent a good lot of time on the phone with different provincial registry offices, trying to figure out what I am supposed to do about my vehicles. Turns out there is no easy solution. I am no longer a student and live and work in Alberta, so technically I am supposed to register my vehicle here. Ok, so lets do that, BUT, first I need to have an out-of-province inspection, so i call a place that does such things and speak to a friendly, but honest lady. She says.. don't waste your money, the inspection is tough and even MUCH newer vehicles barely pass. Oh. So now what? There is also another catch, if I move to Ontario in September for school I can keep my Sask plates, but if I switch to Alberta, then I can't switch back to Sask unless I live there for three months prior to going to Ontario. Ha. So nobody has a solution that allows me to drive my car in Alberta. Next best thing, attempt to sell the car in Saskatchewan and then buy an equivalent car in Alberta, so anyone wanna trade?

Next issue, most of you know that I have been accepted into a Masters' Program in Waterloo, which I am really excited about and for which I have been granted a 15, 000 scholarship. Tuition for the program however, is 26,000 for one year (one year continuous Sept-Sept) after which I will be done!! On top of that there is living in Ontario. I have intended all along to take out more Student Loans to fund this excursion, as the general consensus, both from current students in the program and professors, is that there will not be time to hold down a part time job. However, there is major concern about graduating with excessive student loan debt and spending the rest of my life trying to pay it off... SOOOO, I am looking for some brainstorming ideas on how to get more assistance, I really want to complete this program now while I am still not settled in one place and excited to do it. Anyone know of any scholarships that apply to Business and Technology masters, Women in Technology, or anything else that applies? How about any great ideas for fundraising or odd job work I can do to get some extra cash? I'm open for any and all suggestions right now that will keep me in this program for Sept 2007....

Hope life is being a little less pressing for all of you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! First things first, those out of province inspections are a pain! I had to spend $700 on my car in order to get insurance in BC! One thing you can do is just keep your parents' Sask address on your insurance and registration. Not exactly legal, but people do it.
As for the schooling, check out websites like www.studentawards.com. I know that'd be a lot of student loan debt to pay off, but if that's what it comes to, just think of the jobs you can get once you have your masters! You'll be raking in the dough! My landlord hasn't even graduated from university and he just got a job with DivX in San Diego making 3 times the amount of money he was here in Victoria...and he was making good money! The possibilities are endless!

Anonymous said...

I agree steph.. sounds kinda bad coming from a soon to be lawyer.. just keep your parents address on all your info until your done school and settle down.. your a student so you can justify it.. If not find a small mom and pop auto shop and get them to do your inspection. They will be less likely to burn you. If you plan to stay in AB later then it will be a good long term alternative. Koren

Jewels said...

hey hunny i miss you so much!!!All that stuff sucks!!! you should have called my dad for an out of province inspection. he would totally do it. Love you !!!